IMPORTANT UPDATE: Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

This is an important update to my earlier 2016 post on Immigration News: Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) Coming March 2016 that those travelling through Canada need to be aware of and action as required.

The Government of Canada is reminding travellers to get the appropriate travel documents before booking a flight to Canada.

Beginning November 10, 2016, visa-exempt travellers (except U.S. citizens) will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to board their flight to Canada. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, will need a valid Canadian passport to fly to or transit through Canada.

To help minimize travel disruptions for dual Canadian citizens, a short-term measure is available to dual citizens whose second citizenship is from a visa-exempt country. These dual citizens can apply for a special authorization that will let them board their flight to Canada using their valid non-Canadian passport.

This short-term measure, which will be available until January 31, 2017, is open to dual citizens who have an imminent flight to Canada (leaving in less than 10 days) and whose Canadian citizenship can be verified by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If approved, the authorization will be valid for 4 days from the date of travel indicated in the application. Those that are not eligible for this authorization will need to contact the nearest Government of Canada office abroad to obtain the appropriate travel document.

For more detailed information on this important update, please visit the source link noted below, as well as those within the body of this article.


Supporting Article Research Source: Government of Canada News